Friday, August 29, 2008

Conner Prairie ~ baking cookies

We went to Conner Prairie.
I think I've told you all how much I love this place.
Today, I got to pet this black duck. It was as soft as silk & so pretty.




This lady was a weaver. She let me help her do a few "stitches".

This is the spinning wheel there. I think it looks just like the one that Sleeping Beauty touched.
Here I am, on the stairs. We found this secret walk that we'd never seen before.
Today, I was lucky enough to make "Jumble Cookies". They only let 8 people make them, per class & I got in. Here I am stirring the dough.


This is me rolling out the dough. (yes, everyone took turns. what do you think I am, stingy. lol)



This is how we cut the cookies, with a coffee mug. Then we cut out the centers of the cookies with a thimble. They looked similar to doughnuts when they were done. Mommy said they tasted like pie crust. We liked them. :o)
(oh, we have the recipe if you'd like it. in the prairie days, they called them receipts)
Anyway, this is how they "baked" their cookies in the prairie days. They put coals under & on top of the pot. The cookies "baked" for about 10 minutes, but since they didn't have timers back then, they said that when you SMELL the food, it's time to check it. Smart huh?! ;o)
I Love Conner Prairie. :O)

No comments: