For my second birthday, I started doing an annual book drive for Riley Children's Hospital. That first year, I donated 500 books to the library there in memory of a little friend, Robert, who lost his battle with ALL Leukemia at the young age of 7.
When I had my third birthday, I did the drive again, but didn't have too many books given to me. Mommy & I decided to hang on to those books and collect more for a larger donation at a later date.
For my fourth birthday, and leading up to it, we ended up collecting a nice amount of books. There was a bit of a delay on our drop off but the hospital was grateful, none the less, with our arrival this week. :O)
This is me outside the hospital Tuesday.
We didn't count the books this time, but we FILLED a flat-bed dolly cart with boxes and bags of books. The man from the library explained to us that the books that they do not need for the actual library shelves will be put on carts throughout the hospital as a part of the Half Pint Library. The families in the hospital are welcome to take books from the carts for FREE, encouraging literacy. Now that's COOL!!! :O)

Mommy didn't blog when I was 2, so here are some flashback photos for you. :O)
This is me in front of the hospital in 2006.
Here's another one.
Wasn't I cute. :o)
This is the pile of books that I donated the first time.
I donated about this many this time too. YEA!!!
This photo was actually in the paper.

FYI: I plan on doing this again. If and when you have some new or gently used books, I'll happily take them off your hands for the "sick kids". It seems like such a great thing go do, and a great way to honor Robert's memory.

Mommy didn't blog when I was 2, so here are some flashback photos for you. :O)
This is me in front of the hospital in 2006.
Here's another one. Wasn't I cute. :o)
This is the pile of books that I donated the first time.I donated about this many this time too. YEA!!!
This photo was actually in the paper.

FYI: I plan on doing this again. If and when you have some new or gently used books, I'll happily take them off your hands for the "sick kids". It seems like such a great thing go do, and a great way to honor Robert's memory.
P.S.
Don't you think I've grown a LOT!!! Mommy keeps saying that I'm "growing like a weed" and that she wants to put a brick on my head to keep me little. heeheehee I think she's silly. :o)


1 comment:
Harper,
I LOVE this blog entry. You have such a giving heart, little one. And my goodness, how you've grown since that first book collection!!
Post a Comment